The Georgeson Botanical Garden Friends is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation, and donations are fully tax-deductible to the extent allowed by the Internal Revenue Code. Our tax ID number is 26-0660511. We accept donations through the PayPal Giving Fund, linked below, which does not charge us any fees – so the donation goes completely to GBG Friends. Donations may also be made by check made out to the Georgeson Botanical Garden Friends and mailed to PO Box 81777, Fairbanks, AK 99708.
More Ways To Help
Georgeson Botanical Garden Tribute Opportunities
Honor and remember a loved one, pay tribute to a special someone who has made an impact in your life, or commemorate a special occasion with unique tribute opportunities throughout our inspiring and refreshing landscape environment. Choose the most meaningful tribute for your someone special and leave a lasting impression that adds beauty and dimension to the Garden. Opportunities are subject to change, are based on availability, and include your name and/or message on a laser-engraved plaque. Current Tribute Opportunities are:
- Adopt a Peony: For a minimum donation of $250, an existing peony plant will be adopted for the current growing season. You will be able to choose from a list of available plants in the Garden, which will be inventoried and updated annually.
- Tribute Trellis: For a minimum donation of $500, your name and/or message will be inscribed on the Tribute Trellis by the Garden Kiosk and will remain for ten years.
- Existing Tree or Shrub: For a minimum donation of $1,500, an existing tree or shrub will be dedicated for ten years. You will be able to choose from a list of available plants in the Garden, which will be inventoried and updated annually. After the initial term, you will have a priority opportunity to rededicate the tree or shrub.
- Existing Garden Bed: For a minimum donation of $1,500, an existing garden bed will be dedicated for ten years. You will be able to choose from a list of available beds in the Garden, which will be inventoried and updated annually. After the initial term, you will have a priority opportunity to rededicate the garden bed.
- Wooden Bench: For a minimum donation of $2,500, an existing wooden bench will be dedicated for ten years. You will be able to choose from a list of available benches in the Garden, which will be inventoried and updated annually. After the initial term, you will have a priority opportunity to rededicate the wooden bench.
- Feature or Structure: For a minimum donation of $10,000, a feature or structure that is part of the GBG Master Plan can be selected by you and, pending approval, will be installed and dedicated for an agreed-upon duration. Please contact GBG about these special projects.
To reserve one of these wonderful opportunities, please complete the Tribute Order Form / Agreement so we can properly acknowledge your gift, discuss your wishes, and finalize your tribute.
The Georgeson Botanical Garden proudly offers dedications as a way to give special remembrance to important people or institutions. Dedicating a Garden feature is a wonderful way to remember a passed family member, honor a colleague, or even just demonstrate your own contribution to the Garden. If you are interested in pursuing this option, please contact us.
Inquire about a dedication:
The general endowment fund is a savings account for the botanical garden for long term stability and growth. It is managed by the UA Foundation (a 501(c)(3) nonprofit) and its Board of Trustees. Investment strategies and fund availability are described on their web site.
The Dorothy Beistline Endowment was established by Ms. Kathy Nussbaumer and the Beistline Family to honor Kathy’s mother, pioneer Alaskan and florist, Dorothy Hering Beistline (d. 1996). For many years, Dorothy owned and operated the Daisy A Day Flowers in Fairbanks and was an active member of the Fairbanks Garden Club. The garden in her memory is all about cut flowers. Anything that can be grown as a cut flower in Fairbanks is planted there. It is surrounded by a fence made of new composite material but the design is definitely Gold Rush Era. The original may be seen in early Alaska photos of the Dunham house, downtown Fairbanks. A couple of giant dredge buckets are located in the garden to commemorate the long mining history of the Beistline family. There will also be a demonstration of a gravity-feed irrigation system and lots of raised beds.
The endowment for the Ohlsen Family Garden honors long time Fairbanksans, Floyd and Jeanne Ohlsen and was established by their daughters, Roxann Valentine, Heidi Olson and Lori Gorsline. It supports the sustainable food garden. Jeanne was an active supporter of local garden clubs, and the family always had a big home garden. Our garden has a large patio with experiments in container gardening, research and demonstration plots for all kinds of vegetables, and the most popular attraction in the garden– accessible raised bed gardens. Look closely and you will always see some carrots, a few pansies and a bit of diamond willow in the garden, memories from the Olson family scrapbook.
To donate to any of the above programs, click on the button below to be redirected to a donation page managed by the UA Foundation. Specify on the form that you wish to donate to the Georgeson Botanical Garden, and include the memorial or project name, if any in the comments box. Then email or call to share your good news with us. Please note that if you choose to donate via this option, you should name the UA Foundation on your tax forms.